Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Plight of a poor gamer

*Sigh*

I call myself a gamer because, in my opinion, that means i enjoy a game from time to time. However, lately, Ive been wishing...

For what, you may be asking? More. In my mind's eye, I hear this..."Arnt you happy with what you have?"

Those are my wife's words and, to a point, shes right. I mean, as gamers, we always want more, better games, better graphics, better systems...but to me, its more than that, its more like...

Ok, alot of people have hobbies, some are more expensive than others, but a hobby is something you enjoy doing even if its for a few hours a week. Thats what gaming is to me. So, to answer that question above, Yes, Im happy with what I have and I enjoy it to the fullest, but look at it from this perspective.

Say you just bought a new CD and you absolutly love it, you listen to it every day, in the car, at home...so on and so forth. After about 2 or 3 months of listening to that same CD, you start to get bored and wanting to listen to something else, but your broke, and you cant get any new ones, so you settle with the one CD youve already heard a thousand times.

Thats what its like being poor and a gamer, listening to that same CD for month's on end, playing that same game for months on end. Then they create something better, faster, more exciting, more entertaining.

For someone who doesnt drink, smoke, do drugs, go out to clubs or bars, drag race or anything else, gaming is my only source of entertainment, its really surpassed TV watching in my opinion, because its more interactive and social than plopping your arse on a seat and staring blankly at a TV with the same drivel you've seen already no matter if its a new episode or not.

I dont blame my wife for my issue, I blame the lack of money. Really, if we made more money together, I would be allowed to have an allowance for my hobby/habit.

So, this gamer is stuck playing the same games for a while. Just having bought a new game a month ago, Im not bored with it, in fact, Im totally enjoying it, but I do wish for a little more variety in my gaming diet.

Oh, and just in case my wife is reading this, this is not a complaint, its just a ranting and raving session.

----------------
Listening to: The Crystal Method - She's My Pusher
via FoxyTunes

No comments: